Understanding and controlling some of the common pollutants found in homes, schools, and offices may help improve your indoor air and reduce your family’s risk of health concerns related to indoor air quality.

Radon is a radioactive gas that is formed in the soil. It can enter indoors through cracks and openings in floors and walls that are in contact with the ground. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among nonsmokers.

Secondhand smoke comes from burning tobacco products. It can cause cancer and serious respiratory illnesses.

Combustion Pollutants are gases or particles that come from burning materials. In homes, the major source of combustion pollutants are improperly vented or unvented fuel-burning appliances such as space heaters, wood stoves, dryers and fireplaces. Most common include: carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide.

Volatile organic compounds are chemicals found in paints and lacquers, cleaning supplies, air fresheners, varnishes and waxes and dry-cleaned clothing. VOCs evaporate into the air when these products are used or sometimes even when they are stored.

Asthma triggers include mold, dust mites, secondhand smoke and pet dander. A home may have mold growing on a show curtain, dust mites in stuffed animals, secondhand smoke in the air, and pet dander on the carpet and floors.

Molds are living things that produce spores. Molds produce spores that float in the air, land on damp surfaces, and grow.

Contact Disaster One to have your duct system cleaned to make your home or office a healthier place.